Do you want to have lots of energy, feel deeply nourished by your diet, have a great immune system, and get plenty of good quality sleep?
One key part of creating all of this is to make sure you are getting the micronutrients you need in your diet. Micronutrients are vitamins and minerals that our body needs to thrive. In our foods today there are much less than there use to be.
- We have depleted our soils with our farming methods
- We have genetically altered many foods so that we can use pesticides like roundup that depletes the nutrients – double whammy!
- Our food is often picked before it is ripe and had reached its full potential of vitamins
- It travels a long way exposed to heat, light, and air losing nutrients along the way
So here are some tips to give your body more of what it needs. When your body gets all that it needs, you will optimized your energy, sleep, and health. Our bodies can heal themselves when we add in the good stuff and take out the bad!!!
- Eats Sprouts!!! Loaded with enzyemes and micronutrients! Check how and the benefits on my blog post HERE!
- Go to the Farmer’s Markets!! Local produce travels less and will have more vitamins available to you. Ask your grower if they use pesticides on produce. For meat and dairy 100% grassfed is the best!!!!
- Buy Organic!!! This is a good way to ensure that your food is not genetically modified ( it doesn’t work the same in your body), loaded with pesticides, hormones or antibiotics. See here for information from the Environmental Working Group about the most important produce to buy organic and which ones are okay non organic. Here is the quick list for 2015!!
- Dirty Dozen – apples, peaches, nectarines, strawberries, grapes, celery, spinach, sweet bell peppers, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, imported snap peas and potatoes.
- Clean 15 – avocados, sweet corn, pineapples, cabbage, frozen sweet peas, onions, asparagus, mangoes, papayas, kiwis, eggplant, grapefruit, cantaloupe, cauliflower and sweet potatoes
- Eat Your Dandelilions!!! One of the most powerful sources of micronutrients available to us. And right out our door. So lets stop spraying roundup to kill these valuable plants and eat them. Don’t eat ones that have been sprayed. Put them in smoothies or salads. You can also chop them fine and add them into burgers or stirfrys. Eat the leaves.
- Green Powders and Superfoods!!! According to a recent book I have read called the Micronutrient Miracle, it is nearly impossible to get all we need and 98% of people are deficient. So add in the Superfoods Here is what and how!
- Goji Berries – antioxidants, boost immune system, high in vitamin C, check with Dr. if on blood thinner or high blood pressure medication.
- Chia seeds
- Green powder like Vitamix with minerals and vitamins from plants
- Wheat grass powder
- Maca powder
- Hemp seeds – whole or ground
- Sancha Inchi Powder
Smoothie Recipe: I take a large glass jar and mix Vitamix green powder, Hemp powder, Sancha Inchi Powder, Maca, and Wheat grass. Then when I go to make a smoothie a put in 2 tbsp. , along with ginger, dandelions, goji berries and chia seeds. Add water. Sweeten with stevia, a orange, a banana or other fruit.
7. Spices!!! (Good for Antioxidant, Antiinflamatory, and Weight loss)
- Crushed Black Pepper
- herbs (Thyme, Oregano, Rosemary)
For an article with more details on spices and there benefits go Here!
Spices can help boost your digestion and health!
8. Fish Oil, Daily Vitamins, and Vitamin D
- Check with your health care provider
- Get a high quality product
- Make sure there are no heavy metals or toxins
I take a high quality fish oil 2 times a day and vitamin D once a day. You can also eat wild fish 2 times a week to get the fish oils. I do both.
9. Cut out or Reduce Wheat, Soy and Sugar which all can rob your body of micronutrients. Hard to do I know, but just try it for 3-4 weeks and see if you feel better!! You may be pleasently surprised and notice your arthritis, autoimmune issues, allergies, etc get better.
10. Reduce toxins on your body and in your home.
- Buy all natural skin care products without preservatives. The Aluminium in Antipersperants in bad for you.
- Use oil instead of lotion (seaseme, coconut and sunflower oils are good ones). Lotions are a mixture of oil and water and to mix these there must be preservatives so they don’t go bad. Apply oil before showering and use a towel after that you can ditch in 6 months. The warmth of the water help drive the oil deeper. No need for soap. Or apply oil after the soap.
- Avoid Sodium Laryl Sulfate in shampoo’s, conditioners, and soaps which is irritating and carcinogenic. See article.
- Avoid chemicals in your cleaning products. I use soapy water or a spray bottle with water and essential oils like thyme, lemongrass, lemon, lavender, etc. They smell nice and have antibacterial properties.
Reducing toxins in your life will make you feel better and allow your body to thrive as it should! Our bodies use micronutrients to eliminate toxins and they can easily get used up when we have lots of toxins in our lives. And this includes stress! So relax, do yoga and breath!!
11. Avoid Processed Foods and Trans Fats – Processed foods have been altered by chemicals and are hard to digest, and do not have very many nutrients. This includes fast food chains, and any food that can sit on a shelf for weeks.
Do you feel deeply nourished by your diet? Could you use more energy? Want to feel better, maximize your physiology, and sleep better? Lets have a conversation and go deeper into your health and goals! Contact me soon!
[contact-form][contact-field label=’Name’ type=’name’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Email’ type=’email’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Website’ type=’url’/][contact-field label=’Comment’ type=’textarea’ required=’1’/][/contact-form]
Or email me at email@example.com!!
Check out our Women’s Yoga Leadership Retreat coming up!!!